All homeowners want their homes to look beautiful as long as they live in it. Naturally, your home does not look as new over the years just like when you first acquire it. The ravages of nature first touch the exterior of a home; yet with a little bit of imagination, you can transform old dull concrete into an exciting feature of the home. The outside appearance of your home can be significantly improved just by updating the concrete surfaces that surrounds it or by ripping it up and laying new concrete. There is no need to remove or replace the existing surface to beautify concrete. It can simply be done by spray-on concrete. Here is a little more, you would like to know about this process.
What is Spray on Concrete?
Spray on concrete is a method of applying concrete without requiring formwork. It may be used as a dry mix called Gunite or a wet mix called Shotcrete. Both the methods are a means of applying concrete that is just as good and often better than conventional concrete.
- Material is conveyed in a dry or semi-dry state
- Compressed air is used in the nozzle
- Water is added to hydrate and mix the concrete before application
- The concrete mix is supplied in the wet form
- Pumped to the spraying nozzle where air is added to project the concrete
- Accelerators are added at the nozzle to help in applying the concrete in overhead situations.
Why should you go for it?
It is nothing complicated but really worth the effort. Spray on concrete is a proven system, in use for over a hundred years, so homemakers choose it to give a finish to their homes.
- It is a method of applying a decorative coating on regular concrete.
- It is not only decorative but also slip resistant.
- It can be used on both fresh as well as old concrete floors.
- Though mostly used outdoors it can be used indoors too.
- It is highly durable.
- It has low permeability
- It reduces formwork, thus results in saving time and expense.
- It adds color and texture to a concrete walkway.
- Uses low water/cement ratio
- Has excellent adhesion strength.
Use Spray on Concrete to Decorate Your Home
Give your concrete floors and pool decks a decorative, skid-resistant finish easily by using the spray on a concrete method which offers a vast array of finish options. They can be:
- Sprayed evenly onto concrete with an air-powered hopper gun,
- Applied as a splatter coat to create a textured, slip-resistant surface
- Knocked down with a trowel to create a smoother finish.
- Used to make decorative borders, tiles by using paper or adhesive stencils.
Options for Decoration
Make use of Spray on concrete to create an elegant and natural appearance as the traditional concrete. Tinted sealers can be used to add color to a plain or decorative slab. Use it for:
- Decorative Concrete Overlays
- Reflector flooring
- Epoxy Flake flooring.
Installing Spray on Concrete
- Apply with a hopper gun under pressure.
- Stencils may be used.
- Apply a base coat.
- Adhere stencils to the floor.
- Apply a second color coat.
- Apply a sealer to protect the surface and enhance the color.
You can get professional help or do it yourself but as a homeowner, if you want your home to be lastingly beautiful definitely choose to spray on concrete. It will not only make your home sparkle, but people will also appreciate your aesthetic sense.