Signs that Indicate that You Need Electrical Repairs
Electricity is one of the most blessed boons of the modern age. We have become so addicted to it that we can’t imagine a single day without it. But it is equally dangerous too if not used properly or if sufficient precautions are not undertaken while using it. The electric meter must be checked after every month to ensure that there is a steady flow of current supply always in your home. Therefore, you need to keep a look at the tell-tale signs of your system demanding electrical repairs.
Signs to look out for electrical repairs
Tripping breakers, flickering lights, abnormal smells, and shocking switches are common tell-tale signs of some fault in your electrical system. If you notice any of these signs, take measures to prevent anything worse from happening at your property. Here are a few signs to look out for before calling professional to carry out electrical repairs:
- Tripping breakers: Your electrical system has a circuit breaker the main purpose of which is a safety precaution. It is designed to trip when the amount of electrical current passing through it is more than its capacity. When the breaker trips, it stops the flow of electricity to pass through the circuit, thereby preventing any electrical fire from taking place. This kind of problem can be resolved by adding another circuit to distribute the amount of electricity passing through it. However, don’t touch the breaker without turning off the main breaker of your house.
- Flickering lights: If your lights keep flickering every now and then, then it is an obvious sign that your electrical system needs electrical repairs. Flickering or dimming lights may be a sign of poor wire connections. It may also indicate that too many electrical devices are running off a single circuit. It may also mean that your electrical system is not receiving sufficient voltage supply, due to which your lights are not getting the needed amount of power. If it is only about a single bulb then also you need to repair the bulb and replace it with a new bulb, otherwise, this one might lead to short circuit as well.
- Sounds: If you can hear buzzing sounds from a particular outlet or switch, then it may indicate that you need to take some action immediately. There may be a problem with the connection, due to which the electrical current in a wire is coming in contact with something inside the switch and is causing arcing. This is a kind of current that switches between metallic parts and does not flow constantly in the metal pathways. This sound may also indicate a loose connection. So, it would demand electrical repairs as soon as possible.
- Smell: If you notice burning smell in your house, especially near a circuit board, then the worst that can happen is an electrical fire. When opposite wires touch each other, they cause a spark that may lead to earth leakage or circuit breaker tripping. To avoid any further damage, it’s wise to turn the breaker off and call professionals for the required electrical repairs.
- Outlets and switches giving electrical shock: Minor electrical shocks from an outlet or switch may indicate shorting of a wire. If the shocks continue, it may need a replacement.
If you experience any of the above-mentioned signs in your house’s electrical system, then the safest thing you can do is to switch off the main power and call professionals to access the problem and carry out the needed electrical repairs. You can check the three main lines that supply electricity to your home or commercial space. There should be enough current supply for small appliances and for large connecting equipment like air conditioners.