How to paint a wooden fence quickly and effectively?
You need to learn simple tasks such as painting a fence. Painting a fence is one of the easiest jobs, and it is one of the things that you should be able to do yourself. However, even if you cannot paint a fence by yourself and have to get professional help, you still know about the basics of what will be happening. This way, you will supervise the painting tasks with great ease. Anyone can paint a fence, but you have to learn how to do it quickly and effectively.
Fence paint or stain
The first thing in this whole process is to choose fence paint. You can choose from a fence stain or fence paint. A fence stain will stain the wood and impart a seamless color. Instead, the texture of the wood will peek through the fence. A stain will sink within the wood of the fence.
On the other hand, Paint will conceal the grain of the wood. This is also better when you paint over an already painted fence. You can go from a lighter to dark color with great ease. A fence paint will be a bit expensive, so you should use a fence stain if you are looking for cost-effective options.
Selection of fence paint
When you have decided on a stain or paint, you have to choose the type of pain. following are some of the things that will require your consideration
- You have to make sure that the paint is quick-drying, especially when you live in an area with unpredictable weather. A quick-drying pain would be a better option in any circumstances. In addition, there would be fewer chances of something ruining the paint on your fence.
- If you want your paint to last longer, use a primer on the wood beforehand. This will increase the life of your paint, and a primer will help it sit well on the fence wood. In addition, you will have a smooth and better finish after you paint the job.
- Painting your fence every few years is a requirement. The life of fence paint is about 5 to 10 years, and after that, you have to paint your fence all over again. However, you can make the paint last longer with a few things in your routine. Power washing the fence is also very important.
- A sprayable paint is also an option to do a quick job. You have to spray the paint all over the fence, but you have to be careful about it being an even application with spray paint.
Painting preparation for fence
Fence preparation before fence painting is very important, and all of this leads to the durability of your paint. Fence preparation should be done in the following ways.
- You first have to remove the old paint by sanding the fence’s wood. This will help remove any old paint and will make the surface smooth. Later on, fill the cracks with glue to make the surface even. Next, apply an antifungal wash to clean any mild ross. Finally, use a wood preservative to increase the life of your fence wood. Then after applying primer, you can start painting.
- When it comes to a new fence painting, you can start painting over it after applying a primer on it.
- When you start painting, make sure to choose a dry day. Check all the weather forecasts and opt for a dry day before you start painting. Weather conditions matter a lot when you have to start painting. While watching out for rain also keep the humidity throughout the day in check. On a dry day, the paint will dry within 12 to 14 hours, and on humid days it might take longer.
- Tools are the accessories that you need to choose carefully. Go for the brushes, rollers, or sprayers, depending on your comfortability with them.
How to paint a fence
If you are painting a fence yourself, you have to learn everything about it, and even if you are having it done by the painters, you will need to learn a few basics of it.
- When you are painting with a brush, you have to test it in a small panel section. If the color is right and sits well on the panne, then you can start painting. For example, start painting a fence vertically and paint all of them one by one. Once the first coat has been dried, you can move on to the next coat of paint.
- While painting with a roller, you have to shake the paint well and pour it into a flat tray. Then, dip the roller in the tray full of paint and start painting the fence. This will apply smoothly on the plain area, while you have to apply the paint using a paintbrush in the curvatures.
- When using spray paint, you have to do it from a 6 to inch distance from the fence. Make sure you are holding the nozzle in the right direction and are wearing protective glasses and a face make before you start spraying. Move the gun upward and downward motion and do it swiftly to avoid any waste.
This was everything you had to learn about painting a fence. Even when you are not painting the fence yourself, you have to look after the job done by the hired help. This kind of knowledge will come in handy when you have to paint a small section of your fence because calling in help for that type of paint job would be useless.