A driveway is one of the major components of your shelter. Just like investing in a house, you might have invested in a car as well. Now, to move the car out of your house smoothly and also to get it back, you have to settle for a proper driveway. There are so many materials used for manufacturing driveway like asphalt, concrete and more. However, concrete driveways are gaining quite some popularity nowadays. It is mainly because of their sturdiness and long-lasting facility.
However, with passing time, even the concrete based driveways might show some signs of deterioration. So, taking some extra steps from your side and then maintaining the longevity of the driveways might prove to be fruitful enough. Now, you can install a driveway once and enjoy its services for a long time.
Make Sure To Sealcoat The Driveway:
You can always try to re-apply the sealant to the driveway as a preventive measure as it helps to stop ice, water, car fluids, and other chemicals from staining and breaking down aggregate materials. Sealants can also be added to asphalt, concrete and brick driveways.
- Concrete driveways are noted to be more expensive to install but will easily last 30 days. Asphalt is now half the price and will last for around 20 days. So, now you know the difference.
- It is always important to pressure wash first for the concrete driveways. It helps in removing stains and dirt. After that, it is all about fixing the cracks and then seal coating it.
Removing Stain Immediately:
Even though a sealer is used for protecting concrete from any kind of stain absorption, it is always a good idea to just remove oil, grease, gasoline and any other spills ASAP. In case, if the concrete ever gets discolor, some cleaning chemicals and even pressure washing will help in removing the stains.
- Moreover, you should try avoiding deicers on the present concrete driveways in winter as that might cause the surface to get damaged a lot more. It will start with primary scaling and spalling as it forces the thawing and refreezing available moisture.
- Some of the products comprise of ammonium sulphate and ammonium nitrates, which are especially harmful as they might actually attack concrete chemistry.
- Then you have the calcium chloride and rock salt, which might damage less but can even harm vegetation and even corrode metal on the go.
- It is always important to avoid using any form of deicers the first winter just after concrete driveways placement as new concrete happens to be more susceptible to the salt’s harmful effects. As a proper alternative, you can always go for traction.
Curing The Mess Already Under The Belt:
To keep the concrete based driveway from cracking, you have to stay off it for a minimum of 7 days right after you are through with the installation procedure. It is meant for normal traffic. For the heavy equipment, make sure that the concrete driveways remain unused for about a month. Concrete is always considered to be green and needs to be well cured and hardened before it can be finally opened for normal use.
Check Out The Construction Equipment:
In case, you are planning to work on any form of construction on property in need of heavy construction equipment or related to heavy trucks, they might not be allowed on the driveway for a period of minimum 30 days after the installation is done.
It is your duty to follow these norms once you have involved yourself with concrete driveways. things will start taking a good turn after that for sure.
These are some points that will help you a lot in terms of choosing the right type of concrete driveways along with the cost in association with the same.